Friday, January 6, 2017

Hadhrat `Amr bin Jamooh's (Radhiyallaho anho) desire for martyrdom


`Amr bin Jamooh (Radhiyallaho anho) was lame. He had four sons. who often remained in the company of the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) and took part in the campaigns. In Uhud, Amr (Radhiyallaho anho) desired very much to join the battle. People said to him:
"You are excusable, as you are lame. You need not go to the battle."
He replied:    "How sad! that my sons go to Paradise, and I stay behind."
His wife also wanted him to fight and get martyred, so that she might have the honour of being the widow of a martyr. To exhort him, she said to him:
"I do not believe that people have stopped you from going. It seems that you are yourself afraid to go to the battlefield."
Hearing this, Hadhrat 'Amr (Radhiyallaho anho) equipped himself with arms and, facing Qiblah, prayed to Allah:
“O, Allah! Let me not come back to my family again."
He then went to the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) and said:
"I had always wished for martyrdom, but my people have always been stopping me from going into the battle. O. Prophet of Allah! I cannot resist my desire any more. Do permit me to join the battle. I hope to walk in Paradise with my lame foot."
The Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) said to him:
"You have an excuse. There is no harm if you stay behind."
But he still insisted, and at last the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) permitted him to fight. Hadhrat Abu Talha (Radhiyallaho anho) says:
"I saw 'Amr (Radhiyallaho anho) fighting. He walked proudly and said, 'By Allah! I am fond of Paradise'. One of his sons was following him at his heels. The father and the son fought till both of them were killed."
His wife on hearing of the death of her husband and son came with a camel to fetch their bodies. It is said that when the bodies were loaded on the camel, it refused to stand up. When it was made to stand up after great beating, it would not go to Madinah and would turn towards Uhud, again and again. When the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) was informed of this, he said:
"The camel is charged to do that. Did 'Amr (Radhiyal-laho anho) say anything at the time of leaving his home?"
His wife informed the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) that he had prayed to Allah, facing Qiblah:
"O, Allah! Let me not come back to my family again."
The Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) said:
"This is why the camel is refusing to go toward his home."

Look at Hadhrat 'Amr's (Radhiyallaho anho) desire to die in the path of Allah. It was their love and devotion for Allah and His Prophet that led the Sahabah to the height of such attainment. Even after death, `Amr (Radhiyallaho anho) wants to remain in the battle-field, and the camel re-fused to take his body back to Madinah.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Template designed by Liza Burhan